By Clay Shaw
Photography by Clay Shaw and Karen Mitchell
Washington, DC, April 1, 2023—For the 50th Anniversary of the Credit Union Cherry Blossom 10 miler, the organizers brought the “fun run” to a solid dedicated race status, held on Pennsylvania Avenue on the day before the 10 miler. REI was the presenting sponsor.
6,000 plus participants braved steady rain for their trip, mainly on “the inauguration course” on Pennsylvania Ave, starting and finishing near Freedom Plaza.
Casey Greenwalt of Washington, DC came from behind on the home stretch to edge Rachel Gallap of Kalamazoo, MI. Both women ran 18:12. Marisa Deichert of State College, PA was third in 18:44. Michelle Navarro of Red Bank, NJ was fourth in 19:01. Natasha Fedkina of Arlington, VA was fifth in 19:35. Courtney Hansen-Jablonski of Muskegon, MI was top master and ninth overall in 20:19.
The men’s race was also extremely close. John Fabeberg from Sweden and living in Baltimore won a close race with Mark Leininger, also of Baltimore. Both men were clocked at 15:03. Ethan Gonzales, a third Baltimorean, finished third in 15:32. Tim Hughes of Washington, DC was fourth in 16:21. 16-year-old Laszlo Wolfe of Washington DC was fifth in 16:50. Zachary Newman of Brooklyn was top master and tenth overall in 17:30.
- 18:12 Casey Greenwalt, 27, Washington, DC
- 18:12 Rachel Gallap, 23, Kalamazoo, MI
- 18:44 Marisa Deichert, 25, State College, PA
- 19:01 Michelle Navarro, 31, Red Bank, NJ
- 19:35 Natasha Fedkina, 24, Arlington, VA
- 19:54 Zoe Calhoun, 25, Mt Kisco, NY
- 15:03 Johan Fabeberg, 31, Baltimore, MD
- 15:03 Mark Leininger, 32, Baltimore, MD
- 15:32 Ethan Gonzales, 27, Baltimore, MD
- 16:21 Tim Hughes, 35, Washington, DC
- 16:50 Laszlo Wolfe, 16, Washington, DC
- 16:52 Miles Meijer, 25, Washington, DC
Categories: Race Coverage
Leave a Reply