by Clay Shaw
Wheeling, WV, August 7, 2022, Debbie Green Memorial 5k (25th and final running)—Race director Ron Green carefully decided that the 25th running of the Debbie Green Memorial 5K in 2022 would be the last and final race. While it’s very sad to lose yet another good road race, it was also well thought out by the Green family for the right reasons. Over the years the event earned funds to help fight childhood cancers and individual fund recipients.
Reuben Mosip of Kenya toured downtown Wheeling with the Lomong brothers before pulling away at mile 1 and running solo for the win in 14:18.
Peter Lomong (14:52), and Alexander Lomong (15:42) of Fork Union, Virginia finished in the other two podium positions. (2008 USA Olympian Lopez Lomong is another brother.) The younger Lomongs were born in South Sudan, moved to Juja, Kenya, and to the USA in 2009. Known to many as the “Lost Boys of Sudan” Peter ran at Northern Arizona University; Alexander ran for Iowa State.
Caleb Keller of Charleston, WV was fourth male in 15:57. Cade Robinson of Bridgeport, WV was fifth in 16:17. Michael Guinn of Follansbee, WV was top master in 16:39.
Mary Mananu of Kenya, the 2021 champion, won again in 2022 with a 15:49, earning a sub-16-minute time bonus. Former University of Michigan runner Audrey Belf of Arlington, VA was second in 17:02. Kelsey Chambers of Buckhannon, WV was third in 19:08. Hannah Kemp of Bethesda, OH was fourth in 19:11. Zoe Zervos, 13, of Moundsville, WV was fifth in 20:32. Shannon Thompson of Flagstaff, AZ was top master in 23:04, placing tenth overall.
311 runners finished the 5K, with a walk division of 277, giving the final Debbie Green 5K a final total of 608 finishers.
The Green Mile was held twenty-four hours earlier, on Saturday morning. Danah Phillips won in 4:36.3, Cedric Robinson was second in 4:50.1, and Casey Hancock third in 4:50.3.
Haley Heitz of Wheeling, WV won in 6:07.6, Laurel Shipley was second in 6:59.9, and Kendryl Brandon placing third in 7:15.3.
A big thank you to Ron Green and his family, volunteers that really put Wheeling on the map for good racing, a family/community event, and awesome work with charity. Ron put his heart and soul into this event for 25 years. I started photographing it in 2011 and the race became a must on my calendar.
- 15:49 Mary Munanu, 27, Kenya
- 17:02 Audrey Belf, 25, Arlington, VA
- 19:08 Kelsey Chambers, 26, Buckhannon, WV
- 19:11 Hannah Kemp, 21, Bethesda, OH
- 20:32 Zoe Zervos, 13, Moundsville, WV
- 20:37 Zara Zervos, 19, Moundsville, WV
- 21:44 Shea Reinberg, 24, Wheeling, WV
- 21:58 Haley Heitz, 18, Wheeling, WV
- 22:05 Ally Hicks, 18, Cameron, WV
- 23:04 Shannon Thompson, 40, Flagstaff, AZ
- 14:18 Reuben Mosip, 20, Kenya
- 14:54 Peter Lomong, 25, Fork Union, VA
- 15:42 Alexander Lomong, 23, Fork Union, VA
- 15:57 Caleb Keller, 30, Charleston, WV
- 16:17 Cade Robinson, 20, Bridgeport, WV
- 16:19 Brenden Sands, 21, West Liberty, WV
- 16:21 Mark Allen, 18, Moundsville, WV
- 16:26 Bryce Childers, 23, Stonewood, WV
- 16:27 Brody Cermak, 21, Dillonvale, OH
- 16:39 Michael Guinn, 41, Follansbee, WV
Categories: Race Coverage
Leave a Reply