The Wyoming Valley Striders (WVS) is a running club steeped in tradition that has been the driving force behind the distance running scene in northeastern PA for over 44 years hosting a varied slate of races every year.
Paying tribute to the club’s co-founder Vince Wojnar, who passed away last January, the WVS board decided to bring back their race series that last took place in 2011 and develop one for 2019, naming it the Vince Wojnar Triple Crown! Vince being a staple in the running community, volunteered half of his life to the Wyoming Valley Striders serving in various positions on the board from 1975-2018 and was race director for Strider races up until his retirement in 2015. The local community and beyond have been affected in a positive manner because of his outreach and support.
The series consists of the following Wyoming Valley Striders club races:
In order to facilitate top racing action from around the region and beyond, the top males and females in the following three divisions shall receive cash or gift card prizes:
|Division||1st Place (Cash prize)||2rd Place (Gift Card)||3rd Place (Gift Card)|
|Open (39 and under)
Masters (40 to 59)
Grand Masters (60 and over)
There are also special extras for anyone who participates in the series and they include a commemorative running gift, a WVS club member drawing, and prize for farthest traveled runner. The registration cutoff for the series is race day registration at the 20K. However, to be eligible for series prizes and gifts, the participant must have run the prior two races for this to be relevant.
To register or to learn more about the Vince Wojnar Triple Crown, go online at https://runsignup.com/Series/WyomingValleyStridersVinceWojnarTripleCrown.
The Striders have expanded their race schedule this year due to the recent merger with the former Susquehanna Rivers Runners Club (SRRC). They will be bringing the SRRC’s 2 Mile (July 6) and Valley’s Fastest Mile Series (July 25, August 8 and August 21) to the running public as Strider races.
Although you do not need to be a member of the WVS to participate in Strider races, membership dues are only $5 per year and benefits include club discounts at local running stores and discounted pre-entry fees for many of their races.
Established in 2014, the Lady Striders, a subsidiary of the WVS was developed as a running club for women of all fitness abilities and ages. Their successful programs have included 16 couch to 5K programs along with other distances. This year’s first eight-week training program will begin March 4.
To learn more about the Wyoming Valley Striders or the Lady Striders, follow them on Facebook or visit http://home.ptd.net/~rrrawls/wyoval.htm.
About the Wyoming Valley Striders
The mission of the Wyoming Valley Striders club is to promote participation in distance running, track & field events and support overall physical fitness and well-being in the community. Their board is comprised of nine directors and four officers who meet on a monthly basis. Members are invited to attend the regular meetings of the Club.
Wyoming Valley Striders Races & Events Schedule for 2019
– March 4 – May 5: Lady Striders Couch to 5K and 5K to 5 Mile Training Programs
– *March 17 (Sun): 39th Annual Winter’s End 4.5 Mile Run, 11am, Penn State Wilkes-Barre Campus, Lehman
– *May 5 (Sun): 45th Annual Cherry Blossom 5 Mile Run, 1 Mile Fun Walk / 16th Annual Tim Thomas Memorial, 10am, Kirby Park, Wilkes-Barre
– May 19 (Sun): 28th Annual Spring Age-Group Graded 5.3 Mile Trail Run / 6th Annual Jen Stec Memorial, 12:00 noon, Frances Slocum State Park, Wyoming
– July 6 (Sat): 2 Mile Race and 1 Mile Walk, 9am, Murphy’s Pub, Swoyersville
– July 25 (Wed): Valley’s Fastest Man/Woman Series Race #1 – Track, 7pm, Misericordia University, Dallas
– August 8 (Thurs): Valley’s Fastest Man/Woman Series Race #2 – Paved Loop, 7pm, Church Street Park, Kingston
– August 21 (Wed): Valley’s Fastest Man/Woman Series Race #3 – Breaker Brewing Company’s Giants Despair Hill Climb, 7pm, Laurel Run
– August 31 (Sat): 45th Annual Cliff Robbins Sr. Memorial High School Cross Country Races, 9:30am, Misericordia University, Dallas
– October 27 (Sun): 32nd Annual Fall Age-Group Graded 5.5 Mile Trail Run, 12:00 noon, Frances Slocum State Park, Wyoming
– *November 10 (Sun): 6th Annual 20K Run, 9am, Lehigh Gorge State Park, White Haven
– November TBD: 4th Annual End of Year Social
– December 4 (Wed): 35th Annual Wyoming Valley Conference Coaches’ Cross Country All-Stars Awards & Pizza Party, 6:00pm, Gate of Heaven, Dallas
– December TBD: Lady Striders Holiday Party
*Denotes races in the inaugural Vince Wojnar Triple Crown.