By Clay Shaw
Photography by Clay Shaw and Karen Mitchell
Berwick, PA, November 24, 2022 Thanksgiving Day, 113th Run for the Diamonds—The 2022 Run for the Diamonds seemed back to normal after two years of no pasta dinner and wave starts. Kudos to the staff for even staging the event in 2020.
Mark Will-Weber, who wrote the book Run for the Diamonds: 100 Years of Footracing in Berwick, Pennsylvania, was the pre-race dinner speaker. Honored at the dinner were Claudette Garber, who was one of two women who were invited to compete in 1972, and Debbie Focht, the first local woman to run the race (1973) then called the “Berwick Marathon.” The 2022 running was the 50-year anniversary of women in the race, as prior to 1972 women were not permitted to participate.
Alfredo Jose Santana, a native of Puerto Rico proudly wearing the national team singlet, won an epic battle with Casey Ellis of Towanda, PA. Santana, who now lives in Philadelphia, won in 44:13, the 7th fastest time ever. Ellis finished in 44:18 and earned 9th place on the all-time list. In a strong men’s field Samuel Gerstenbacher of Lancaster was third in 44:44. Matt Gillette of Allentown, the five-time champ, was fourth in 45:13. Alex Price of Bethlehem was fifth in 45:27. Gregory Jaindl of Macungie was sixth in 45:44. David Haines of Madison Township was seventh in 45:48. The top seven overall earned the coveted diamond rings. There were also rings in ten-year age groups with Michael Heimes of Reading earning the 40-49 ring with a 49:15 time and thirteenth overall. Art Siemers of Signal Mountain, TN was the 50-59 victor in 53:23 and 33rd overall. Phil Garland of Lancaster won the 60-and-up diamond in 58:41 and was 86th ; he was a repeat winner.
Marino Martino, née Orrson, of Dallas, PA won the Run for The Diamonds for her third time in 52:51. She won in 2015 (Orrson) and again in 2019 as Martino. Corinne Fitzgerald of New York, NY was second in 53:45. Zoe Matherne of Philadelphia, the 2018 champion, was third in 54:08. Laurel Moyer of Lock Haven, who was eighth in 2021, moved into the diamond winners with a 54:29 and fourth place. Lacey Danilovitz of Moosic was fifth in 54:34. Julie Hartenbach of Springfield, VA was sixth in 55:10. Carly Danoski of Clarks Summit earned the seventh and final diamond in 55:49. Alison Schwalm of Line Lexington, PA was top 40-49 in 1:02:55 earning the diamond, and was 22nd overall. Amy Rome of Dallas, PA was the diamond winner of the 50-59 in 1:04:45. Kate Fisher of Watsontown, PA was the 60-and-up champ in 1:16:11.
The Run for the Diamonds has a rich history and attracts runners from all over the United States and even a few other countries. The diamond awards and a deep set of age group and team awards add to the attraction of this longtime staple in the running community. The nine-mile distance with hills make it a tough challenge. 1041 hearty athletes completed the 2022 Run for The Diamonds. Big time kudos to Chris Aurand of Berwick who completed his 50th consecutive race along with friends and family sporting Oregon Ducks t-shirts.
- 52:51 Marina Martino, 31, Dallas, PA
- 53:45 Corinne Fitzgerald, 31, New York, NY
- 54:08 Zoe Matherne, 26, Philadelphia, PA
- 54:29 Laurel Moyer, 26, Lock Haven, PA
- 54:34 Lacey Danilovitz, 17, Moosic, PA
- 55:10 Julie Hartenbach, 36, Springfield, VA
- 55:50 Carly Danoski, 24, Clarks Summit, PA
- 56:55 Katie Sick, 31, Millville, PA
- 57:41 Madison Hedglin, 15, Dallas, PA
- 58:01 Jamie Rizzo, 28, Phoenixville, PA
- 59:20 Maizy Aikey, 18, Bloomsburg, PA
- 59:43 Nicole Keeley, 22, Northumberland, PA
- 59:43 Brianna Hennett, 18, Northumberland, PA
- 1:00:39 Katie Moncavage, 16, Elysburg, PA
- 1:00:51 Marie Lemay, 34, Rochester, NY
- 44:13 Alfredo Jose Santana, 31, Philadelphia, PA
- 44:18 Casey Ellis, 23, Towanda, PA
- 44:44 Samuel Gerstenbacher, 25, Lancaster, PA
- 45:13 Matt Gillette, 31, Allentown, PA
- 45:27 Alex Price, 29, Bethlehem, PA
- 45:44 Gregory Jaindl, 25, Macungie, PA
- 45:48 David Haines, 23, Madison Twp, PA
- 46:12 Christian Schaaf, 23, Phoenixville, PA
- 46:28 Seth Slavin, 23, Bethlehem, PA
- 47:32 Chris McCabe, 33, Boiling Springs, PA
- 48:35 Mitchell Rome, 22, Dallas, PA
- 48:55 Ciaran Fisher, 26, Marion Heights, PA
- 49:15 Michael Heimes, 44, Reading, PA
- 49:19 Daniel Danilovitz, 16, Moosic, PA
- 49:35 Oliver Heintzelman, 15, Shickshinny, PA
Categories: Race Coverage
Leave a Reply