by Clay Shaw
WILLIAMSBURG, VA, February 20, 2021, 42nd COLONIAL HALF MARATHON—Dylan Gearinger of Philadelphia won the Colonial Half Marathon for the second straight year. Gearinger, the favorite son of Berwick, PA, won easily in 1:07:55, taking one second off his 2020 winning time.
Amazing what has happened in one year, and ironic that the same champion ran a nearly identical time. And it’s noteworthy that the race happened in 2021, with pandemic precautions. The number of finishers went from 252 in 2020 a few weeks before the pandemic cancellations, to 235 in 2021.
Susanna Sullivan of Reston, VA won the women’s division in 1:17:56, running all alone, with only Gearinger and second place male Roger Hooper (1:11:20) in front of her. She led a competitive women’s field. 2020 women’s champ Laurel LeMoigne of Springfield, VA was second in 1:22:36. Ann Mazur of Charlottesville, VA was third in 1:23:45. Brigid Gutierrez of Charlottesville, VA was fourth in 1:29:54. The 5K had 136 finishers. Jacob Warner of Williamsburg won in 16:44. Rachel Parthasarthy of Madison, CT was the women’s champ in 19:33.
RG’s Karen Mitchell reached out to Ann Mazur a few days after the event, and you can read about her pandemic experience. It has been quite a year for her!
- 1:07:55 Dylan Gearinger, 23 Philadelphia, PA.
- 1:11:20 Roger Hooper, 30, Chesapeake, VA
- 1:23:44 Jonathan Torres, 31, Newport News, VA
- 1:24:23 Toby Worm, 47, Smithfield, VA
- 1:25:55 Carter Ficken, 46, Yorktown, VA
- 1:17:56 Susanna Sullivan, 30, Reston, VA
- 1:22:36 Laurel LeMoigne, 35, Springfield, VA
- 1:23:45 Ann Mazur, 35, Charlottesville, VA
- 1:29:54 Brigid Gutierrez, 28, Charlottesville, VA
- 1:33:19 Bethany Spector, 31, Virginia Beach, VA
Categories: Race Coverage
Leave a Reply